Walk 5: La Sage and Villa from Evolène (Distance: 6.6 km and 380m of ascent)
This circular walk can be done from Evolène or La Tour and is around 6.5k in length with 380m of ascent. It takes in two of the local villages and gives wonderful views of the valley as well as the mountains and glaciers beyond. There’s also the option of a short detour to the Chapelle de St Christophe on the hill just below La Sage.
- From the Evolène car park, walk along the main road towards Les Haudères. Continue past the Co-op roundabout and (after a further 800 metres) as the footpath on the left of the road ends, go up the tarmac drive on the left (to a chalet with a very blue mural!) After a short rise of only a few metres, take the farm track which goes off to the right.
- This track soon crosses a wooden bridge before descending to another tarmac road. Walk along this road for around 400 metres to a group of chalets. Take the road/track on the left, called Route du Stand and signposted to La Sage & the Col du Torrent. After 40m turn right at a signpost and follow the track/path across the field (past a new chalet) and up into the woods. (You also pass a bench and a yellow diamond signpost on a tree). The path goes up quite steeply through the woods, but you will soon emerge to a fine viewpoint over the valley to Les Haudères.
- A further 100m after the viewpoint, you meet a farm track. Turn left here, again going up quite steeply as it bends to the right. The track eventually turns into a tarmac road, which meets another road at a T junction with a signpost. Turn left here to La Sage.
- Chapelle de St Christophe detour
After around 250 to 300m there’s a (signed) left turn to some steps and a path up to the Chapelle de St Christophe. This also gives fine views over the valley and is worth the short but sharp detour. Return the same way and continue up the road.
- The road bends around to the right, past the blue and white Hotel de La Sage, then zigzags left and right up to the main road. Turn left here and follow the main road to Villa. You will soon pass a Café/restaurant called Les Collines, which is lovely place to stop for a drink, or even lunch, on their fabulous terrace overlooking the valley.
- Continue along the road for around 1 kilometre to Villa, passing several interesting chalets along the way. On a right hand bend there’s a small chapel on the left and a large signpost on the right, next to a water trough. Turn left here and go down a concrete ‘cobbled’ track to the right of the chapel. This soon turns into a track, which bends first left, over a stream, then right past a wooden raccard. About 40 metres after the raccard, the track descends steeply to the left and then meets a signpost near a wooden bench. Turn right here and follow the path down through the woods. The path emerges between some chalets at the via ferrata car park. Turn right along the main road to Evolène and the chalet.